Monday, March 7, 2016

Ljubljana, Slovenia: A mighty change of heart

Lep pozdrav!!

This week the lady at the cash register at the grocery store, asked me why I ask her how she is doing every week.. she asked if I genuinely care to know, or if it is just a way we say hello in America.. I laughed and told her I genuinely want to know! She responded and said that she was 'ok', and reminded me that they don't really do that here in Slovenia... - that should tell you a lot about the people here - whooooo I do love with my whole heart :) 

This week Sister Duffy and I discovered a new way to use our talents as we serve! Due to the weather we have been doing a lot of tracting.. Usually when we tract, right after we say we are missionaries, the door gets shut too fast before we can say anything. After tracting for a few hours one day, with a lot of shut doors, I sarcastically suggested to Sister Duffy that we should just start singing "God be with you till we meet again" as they shut the door, hoping they will have another chance to accept this one day - whether it is on earth or when we all meet at Christ's feet..  We kept going and then a little desperate, we thought let's just try singing for them! The next door and older man answered and we started singing "I am a child of God".. i got the giggles while doing it, which left Sister Duffy to singing a solo - but she has a voice of an angel so it worked. Turns out he couldn't really hear us anyway, so it was ok.. but the next door a young couple answered.. and we said we are missionaries and he quickly started saying that nothing we will say will make him join our church and that it was no use of our time.. as he started shutting the door, we said we just want to sing a song for you guys today! He laughed and was a little confused, but said we could. So we starting singing.. and it brought the spirit INSTANTLY... The wife got tears in her eyes and could not stop smiling. We ended up talking with them for about 15 minutes about what we do as missionaries, and they thought it was so amazing that we are so faithful. They took a pass-along card and thanked us for helping them feel good. 

We have continued on doing it since - we really just say, "hi we are missionaries and can we sing something for you today?" - it sounds sooooo silly but every.single.time, not only does it help them keep the door open a little longer, but it brings the spirit.. and it is so amazing to watch the person standing in the door FEEL IT. One of the greatest things I love most about serving these people here, is that they are closed off at first.. and then the more you try to speak with them, eventually something switches and you can tell they feel the spirit. Their eyes widen a little more, and they smile. You see the light of Christ in their eyes. And those are little moments that I do know, bring them closer to our Savior - and that is our purpose as missionaries. 


Typical apartment block that we track out.




I love that this gospel really does change us.. whether it is for 2 minutes as someone is brought a little closer to Christ through a simple conversation, or if it is someone changing their habits and their life completely to be baptized, or whether it is a missionary trying to become a little more converted to the gospel - the gospel helps us to have a mighty change of heart. I was reading in Ezekiel this week, and I love the scripture that says, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." 

I love the conversion aspect of the gospel - the fact that all of us can experience a mighty change of heart. It starts with baptism.. When we are baptized, we make the step for the lifelong process of true conversion. And I love that the more we are converted, the stronger relationship we gain with our Heavenly Father and Savior. And the more we become willing to be changed by coming closer to Christ, we truly do learn of his power to heal us.. to make up for our weaknesses and short comings. 

ALL IS WELL... I am doing ok!! Time seems to be slipping out of my hands, more than I can grasp.. wooooooooooof - that scares me. BUT FAITH BEFORE FEAR!!! Sorry this email is all over the place I am out of time 

ADIJO!  

LOVE YOU ALL.. 
S. NYDEGGER 


Post meeting treat!

I can't wait to leave this coat and umbrella behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment