Monday, June 15, 2015

Ljubljana, Slovenia: I can be perfect in trying!

Hi everyone!!

I do not really have much to say about this week - because most of our time was in doctors appointments and all.. but I have a few cool stories!

This week a member here in Ljubljana set up for Sister Dutton and I to give a tour of the chapel. We got it all cleaned up and ready to go. We said a quick prayer asking for the gift of tongues and that the spirit could be with us. When the doorbell rang, around 50 students walked in to our church! Their ages ranged from 13-15 years. I have never seen so many people in our church! They all kept laughing about our funny accents and thought it was so weird that we knew Slovene... but we continued on and ended up telling them the whole story of the restoration of the gospel. We ended in the chapel and there was a beautiful spirit present. We then opened it up to questions and we got asked wonderful questions that led to discussion. Such as, "How did we pick Slovenia?" "Do we miss our families?" "What is the work like here?" "How did we decide to come on a mission?" As I testified to this group of people about my mission, the spirit testified to me and reminded me that this is where I am meant to be right now. I am grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost. As we finished up the tour I invited those who were interested to take a copy of the Book of Mormon and find out for themselves if these things were true. I was talking with the headmaster and telling him 'thank you for coming' - I looked out the corner of my eye and saw these students looking at our stack of copies of the Book of Mormon. I ran over and started handing them to people telling them that they were free.. and we gave out 38 copies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How wonderful is that?! I invited them to come to church on Sunday as well. Sadly, none of them came to church, but for now at least a seed was planted.. and 38 homes here in Slovenia, now have a Book of Mormon in it for when missionaries find them again :) And hopefully one day all of these people will know the truth. 

Sister Dutton and I love to match!

This morning I was sitting in the waiting room at the doctors office while waiting for Sister Dutton to get her ultrasound.. (we still have not figured out what the problem is sadly..but still hopeful!) But the lady next to me saw my name tag and told me that her daughter many years ago came to our English class. I told her that was wonderful and that we still have one. The man across the room heard me say that, and he asked if it really was a free English class. I laughed and said yes! And then the women who was working at the desk quickly asked how I knew Slovene and how long I have been in Slovenia.. and before I knew it, I was having a conversation with everyone in the waiting room! They were all listening and asking different questions. I told them about our free English class and tried to answer their questions that they had. They all thought it was so amazing that I am away from my family for so long and that I am not getting paid for what I am doing. One man asked if it is hard for me to be away from my family, and I answered that I do miss them - but that the work I am here, set apart, to do right now is SO important to me, that it is okay. I once again felt the spirit testify to me that I am here doing the Lord's work and I am where I need to be. 

I know that the Lord has a plan for us. And I know that He knows our righteous desires. I am grateful for our Savior, who suffered for us so that we can be saved, ultimately by grace. I am grateful for the atonement and the opportunity that we always have to keep trying, even when we fall short. I love the quote from Meet the Mormons that says, "I am not perfect. But I am perfect in one thing - I am perfect in trying." 

Keep on trying and "keep on keepin on!" ILY

Love, Sestra Nydegger 

View from our balcony!
Our landlord installed air-conditioning!

Ljubljana river - goes down to Kranj.



First time for Salmon on my mission!  YUMMY!

Eggs always have feathers stuck to them....


Beautiful lake in the Slovene Alps!


No comments:

Post a Comment