Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Celje, Slovenia: God is the Gardner

hi fam! 

This is going to be short today because we are heading to the Adriatic Sea in about thirty minutes!! But I will quickly try to tell you about our week. We had zone conference on Tuesday, which was absolutely amazing. We did a thing with our zone where we just all asked questions to President Grant, and then let a topic of discussion follow. Some of the questions ranged from "where is kolob?" to "how can we not get offended?" It was one of the most spiritual meetings I have ever attended and I received a lot of personal revelation. 

Tuesday was the only day it did not POUR this week. Sister Higgins and I are just getting used to being wet. The river that we usually contact by all day, actually flooded over on the sidewalk because of so much rain, so we spent a lot of time tracting this week.  Although rain and gray skies sometimes can put a damper on attitudes, we are reminding each other we cannot control the weather - so might as well be happy in it! Happiness is a choice.

So grateful for my rainboots!
I was listening to a talk yesterday while I was getting ready for church, by Elder Hugh B. Brown. He shares a story of a currant bush, which was 6 feet tall, but no longer growing berries. Because he was the farmer, he decided to prune the bush back.. As he did, he noticed the bush was crying. The currant bush says, "How could you do this to me? I was making wonderful growth, and now you cut me down. How could you do this? I thought you were the gardener!" Elder Brown says, "Look.. I am the gardener.. And I know what I want you to be.. And someday when you are big and with fruit, you will say -"thank you for loving me enough to cut me down.""

That story meant a lot to me. We all must adopt the mindset of willingly accepting and even seeking corrections. All of us can meet God's high expectations, if we pray and seek for his love-inspired correction. There are going to be many times in life when we will sometimes feel like that currant bush. We are going to experience disappointment, heartbreak, defeat, anger, sadness. We may be tested and it may seem unfair sometimes. But we must continue to remember that God is the gardener here. He knows what he wants us to be. We must continue to submit ourselves to his will. And then be worthy of his blessings, so that we can receive his blessings. 

I have been pondering on that talk for the past day and wondering if I willingly accept correction. On my mission I have really strived to do what Heavenly Father wants me to do. I am learning that in order to do that, I must strive to seek corrections. We must seek his guidance, and trust that HE KNOWS.  One of my favorite parts of the gospel right now, is WEAK THINGS BECOMING STRONG. God will cut us and trim us down, but it is only because he loves us. 

Yesterday while tracting, a happy man opened his door and let us talk with him for a little. We started right away with a gospel conversation but it slowly started to fade.. So I asked him what he likes to do. And he told us to follow him. We followed him into his backyard and he showed us this 20 foot huge cherry tree!! He told us that was his hobby and told us to climb it and get some cherries. We thought he was kidding, but soon realized he was not.. so in skirt and all we climbed up a long ladder up that tree and started picking some cherries. I am grateful for happy people like him, that desire to share their joy with people around them. 

Cherries for breakfast!
Well we will have lots of fun pictures next week of our adventure today by the sea. So excited! 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD this week!! And to Cari, Nik, and to everyone else that has a birthday on the 31st :).  

XOXO
Love, Sister N 

guys.. I am telling you.. this is EUROPES SECRET!!! Why slovenia is not the most popular place in the whole world is sooooooo strange to me. 


morning hikes :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment