Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Celje, Slovenia: ...moldy apartment...

HI EVERYONE.. 

The start of a new transfer is great. I love it! In a way, it is a time to start new again and make new goals to become a little better. I want to improve, and become a stronger, more faithful missionary... so I decided to make some new goals this week.

I have come to realize that I need more faith. I need to rely more on the Lord. In a letter I got from Sister Gochnour, she drew me this picture of the "ladder of faith."

Sister Gochnour's ladder of faith.
When I looked at this, I felt as if I was currently in the spot where I say, "I can do this with the Lord's help." But I need to work harder to be in the top rung, where I can say, "The Lord can do this - I can be an instrument." I felt motivated to look more to the Lord and rely on him, for what He wants me to do each day. I am learning to trust more in the Lord, and ask for specific things as I pray- to exercise more faith. This week we have zone conference, and I actually get to teach the zone about finding.  And one of the things I have learned so much this last week while studying 'finding' is that FAITH is crucial. 

Sister Brown and I also made it a goal to be more obedient. We are striving to be EXACTLY obedient so that we can reap the blessings. One thing I am noticing is that it is easy for me to be obedient, but I do not have the best attitude. I am working on my attitude, so that I WANT to be obedient each day. In PMG it says, "Obedience will lead to increased faith, bring the spirit in greater measure, and open the door to true happiness." I know that the more I strive to be exactly obedient, the more happy I will become. 

I also made it a goal to do something kind for someone each day - one act of service a day. I want to serve those around me more!! Service really does bring happiness. 

The last goal I am really focusing on this transfer is to be more Christ-like. I want to naturally be naturally Christ-like. It is easy to be kind and nice when you are thinking about it, but I want to obtain Christ-like attributes, so that they come naturally. So I have decided to focus on one Christ-like attribute a week. This week I am focusing on humility. 

I feel like I can sum up my goals for this transfer with the simple words from a primary song.. "What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say? Have FAITH, have HOPE, live like His Son, HELP OTHERS ON THEIR WAY." I love that and I am excited to grow more as I strive to do that this transfer. 

This week was a busy week - which is a wonderful thing when you are a missionary - but things are just not slowing down!! Which is good, because I prefer to be busy rather than have nothing to do :) After we finish emailing today, we are driving down to Croatia for a mission leadership conference at the mission home.. We will be there until Tuesday. (I am getting so many stamps in my passport.. it is so fun :)) And then on Wednesday we have zone conference in Kranj! This last week, we have been getting Sister Brown all moved in.. Which speaking of - I love Sister Brown. She is funny... She always has something to say and she is amazing at Slovene.. She has made it a goal this transfer to help me learn Slovene... because it is a little bit of a struggle.. ahhh.. but I am excited!!! I love working with her.



This week when we sat down for weekly planning, we went to open the window.. and found MOLD growing on the window.. INSIDE our apartment... not okay. I went to get something to clean it up and soon realized that it was on ALL OF OUR WINDOWS. The window seal, that I thought was just black, actually is supposed to be WHITE... We then went around and checked all the blinds in the house and all the corners and realized that the house was full of dust and mold.. gotta love living in such humid places.. So we spent a day of deep cleaning this 20 year old missionary apartment....... woooooof.... I kept thinking of Elder Bushe's advice where he says, "Do what you do with all your heart, mind, and strength.. In thoroughness is satisfaction." Oh were we thorough.. Thankfully - now the apartment is clean and mold free!!!.. for now at least.

Yucky mold EVERYWHERE!






Well I am happy and I love being a missionary.. we found an investigator named Lucija!!! She is 16 years old and while we were handing out free hot chocolate, I talked to her. I asked her if she would meet with us again, and she said YES!! We met with her this last week to talk about the obnova and we gave her a Mormonova Knija.. we are hopeful and have faith that she will progress :) Other than that, this week consisted of finding and finding.. and talking to almost everyone we see.. walking... and more walking... I FEEL LIKE I AM JUST ON A LONG WALK EVERYDAY hahahaha... However, as President Hinckley says, "Do your best, your very, very, best. Say your prayers and work hard - And leave the rest to the Lord!!" And that is exactly what I am doing. 

Love you and pray for you.. thank you for LOVING me!!! 
Sister Nydegger 

Beautiful, huge cathedral in Croatia!

No comments:

Post a Comment