Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Celje, Slovenia: Forget to be Selfish!




DEAR FAMILY.. 

WELL.. where to start!! This week we had zone conference and while we were there, President Grant told us that Elder Dearinger would be leaving us to go serve in Croatia! A missionary went home and because of trios and everything, President decided it would be best to send him to Croatia. We were all very shocked and caught off guard!! Things are now different in Celje but it is okay :) So that night he packed his bags and left for Croatia.. And now Elder Davis is with a new companion, and they are currently going back and forth between serving in Ljubljana and Celje.. So now my district pretty much consists of myself and Sestra Cuthbert.. Which is different but it is okay! We have transfers this week and now we have no idea what will happen with Celje!! We will find out this Thursday :)

Each sign has an inside meaning!










This week I learned the valuable lesson of FORGETTING MYSELF.. We often hear the profound words that as we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover ourselves and find happiness. I am truly seeing that become true more and more on my mission!!

We planned each day this week with a significant amount of finding time- whether it was tracting or contacting. After a few days of not finding anyone and lots of doors being shut on us, I started to feel a little discouraged. Without realizing it, I had let selfish thoughts come to my mind about how badly I wanted to find someone to teach. I was focusing too much on myself and not on the importance of service and helping those around us. Saturday morning came around and I was studying a talk by President Uchtdorf and read the quote.. "THOSE WHO BRING SUNSHINE TO THE LIVES OF OTHERS, CANNOT KEEP IT FROM THEMSELVES." The impression then came to my mind that I needed to go serve someone. I needed to completely forget about myself and do something to make someone else happy :) 

So Sister Cuthbert and I went to the store and bought bright yellow flowers, and went to an Old Folks home to pass out out those flowers and sing hymns to the older ladies there.



One of my favorite feelings in this world is watching someone become filled with gratitude, as you do something kind for them. I love watching them smile and the light of Christ glow in their eyes as you serve them. It makes your heart happy and somehow in the process of making someone else feel loved and important- your personal cares and concerns go away, and you feel happy yourself :) That is the beauty of service!! 

This week I also decided to start another journal.  I write of something I am grateful for each day. I am writing down one thing a day that made me happy!! Sometimes it is easy to become so focused on things in the world that we forget to see the beauty and joy that comes each day. Some of those things this week included..

-Getting a letter from a dear friend!! She wrote me a sweet letter and reminded me the importance of exercising more faith with finding.. and having more faith in the Lord. I am grateful for her and her friendship and love. 

-The palačinke man who gave me cream on my crepe- for free!! 



-Walking home next to the river, one night after a long rainy day of tracting.. and seeing the light shine on the wet pavement.. No one was really out, so we just walked in quiet, and it was beautiful. It reminded me that the world is a beautiful, peaceful place.. even after long rainy days!

-When we were tracting, a lady SMILED and said she was not interested.. but then gave us HUGS!!!! 

-On Sunday, one of the members brought me some fresh blueberry cake and said that he loved my piano playing :) 

I know that if we search to find things to be grateful for and look for the little things in life that make us happy, we will be filled with greater love and joy. I am grateful for all the little things in life that make me smile. Most importantly, each day I am grateful for my Savior. And grateful for his HAND and help that I see everyday as a missionary. I am grateful for my family and my friends and the light and joy they bring into my life. I am grateful for agency. And that through agency we can choose to be happy. We can choose to serve, help, and love those around us. We can choose to use everyday for good!! I am grateful for trials and hard experiences, so that we can become stronger- and learn more. I am grateful for Joseph Smith and the restored gospel. I am so grateful for what took place on that beautiful spring morning, when Joseph asked that simple question. Because of what happened that day, I am here now - a missionary - entitled to teach with the power and authority of God. I am grateful for the message of hope that we have to offer to the world!! 

Love, Sestra Nydegger

Slovene Halloween this week!  Chicken on my head.


The rain melted all the snow.  It is beautiful!


FUNNY STORIES OF TRACTING THIS WEEK.. 

Sister Cuthbert- "Hi we are missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have a message about Jesus Christ."
Old man- ".....Shut my gate!!! .... or else... or else.. all of my dogs will get out!!" 
*door shut.. and NO dogs in site hahaha

Me- "Zdravo! Misijionarki sva in imava brezplačen pamplet danes!"
Lady- "I don't speak English..."
Me- "Um.."
*Door shut.. I need to work on my Slovene accent apparently :) 

Us- "Hi we are missionaries!! And we have a message about the restored gospel and how we can find happiness in this life."
Lady- just staring at us..
Us- "Do you have five minutes that we could tell you more?"
Lady- "Um.. no.. I hurt my hand yesterday so you can't come in!! Hvala in lep dan!"
*door shut.. I guess she can't talk because her hand is hurting.. I hope that hand gets better!!!


HAVE A GOOD WEEK BYE BYE LOVE YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment