Monday, January 5, 2015

Celje, Slovenia: Black Sausage

Cheers to the New Year!





POZDRAVLJENI VSE- HELLO EVERYONE-

I hope everyone had a HAPPY week and is sharing some kindness with those around you. :) Slovenia is still beautiful.. still has amazing food.. and I am learning to love the people here more and more each day. As I was looking in my journal this morning, while thinking about what I wanted to share with you this week- I found that this week was an interesting week. We did not have one lesson go through this week. We did not find any new investigators. We went to visit people and they were not home or had no time... This week was filled with harder days!! But I would not use "hard" as a negative word when describing this last week. "Hard" is more of a motivational word as a missionary. Because we were not having a lot of success and the days were hard, it challenged us to work even harder and try more. And even though we are not seeing results right now, I am reminding myself that temporary efforts will eventually produce eternal results according to the Lord's timing.  

We have two quotes by Elder Holland that are hanging up on our fridge that I LOVE. They are good reminders to read every morning as I start my day!! Elder Holland says, "We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that FAITH is always pointed toward the FUTURE." And the second one is, "Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come later, and some don't come until Heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, THEY COME. It will be all right in the end. Trust in God and believe in good things to come." 

Those are two powerful quotes and they remind me of the theme of FINDING JOY in the journey!! I am such a believer that this is what life is about. And my Heavenly Father is helping me each week to be happy and find joy, even on those hard days... or hard weeks... when no one listens to you, and your feet are cold and tired from walking all day, and when the snow melts and turns to ice and you slip at least twice a day- but somehow are still HAPPY and still smiling anyway- I am learning to accept that gift of JOY as a blessing from our Heavenly Father. 

It is our choice to choose and find joy and be happy! We can choose to be frustrated when things don't go the way we want, or we can choose to get upset at people who have hurt our feelings.. BUT thankfully we can ALSO choose to be happy and that is what I am deciding to do!! Everything that we experience here on this earth, we have the choice to be happy. Everything is all part of the journey, and although it requires patience and faith, it is SO much better to choose JOY. Elder Uchtdorf has said that "Our destiny is not determined by the number of times we stumble, but by the number of times we rise up, dust ourselves off, and move forward." So this is the year 2015 that I will be a missionary for the WHOLE year, I am going to make it a goal to always rise up, dust myself off and MOVE forward, finding joy in this journey!!!

Anyway... this week did consist of a LOT of food!!! We had two meals with members this week which we were very grateful for because that does not happen often! After P-DAY last week, we went over to a members house for dinner. We were invited over for a traditional Slovene meal which is always fun. They fed us sour kraut, which is like a cabbage with vinegar that sits in a barrel for a month or so.. And sour turn-ups. And then pig blood intestine black sausage that the lady had just killed and brought from her farm............ so....yeah.. It was good though! Just try not to think about it when eating it. And then we had lunch with our ward mission leader. And it was a 6 course meal. We thought he was kidding when he said that, but he was not. It started with a mushroom soup which was very yummy.. And then a lot of different courses consisting of salad, potatoes, meats, and more. He just kept coming out with more and more... I will be forever full from that meal. 

Yesterday during fast and testimony meeting, it had been quiet for a few minutes and my heart started pounding, and I felt very prompted to bear my testimony. I felt very nervous.. but was reminded of a quote that I had read earlier this week. "With a prayer in your heart, get  up and preach.. And if they understand you- praise to God; If they don't, keep on preaching and the Lord will according to promise, come to your relief." So I got up and bore my testimony about our Savior and the importance of the atonement. After that meeting, many of the members came up to me and said that they felt the Spirit so strongly while I was testifying. And that I am starting to speak faster and that my Slovene has improved. I know that is because the Lord is helping me and is coming to my relief!!! 

Anyway- I love you all and am grateful for your influence in my life!! I am grateful for my testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Keep on smiling and finding joy! Nobody ever said it would be easy, but they did said that it would be worth it :) 

LOVE YOU.. SESTRA N

We thought it said FIND the lost black sheep.... but later learned it said SLAUGHTER the black sheep!

I bought a POM POM.  Everybody wears them.


Churches everywhere..... FAIRY TALE
 

Beautiful sunset while tracting!


1 comment:

  1. Maščevanje črnih ovc, would be translated as, revenge of the black sheep's.

    ReplyDelete