Friday, October 31, 2014

MTC: "I will trust and not be afraid."



This week I have learned so much and my testimony has been strengthened in numerous ways. That is one of my favorite parts of being a missionary - I am learning so much. I was listening to Elder Busche's advice this week and there was something in it that made me start to ponder and think. 

"You cannot communicate with God unless you have first sacrificed your self-oriented natural man and have brought yourself into the lower levels of meekness, to become acceptable for the Light of Christ."

I have decided to focus on a Christ-like attribute every week that I want to better emulate. After hearing this quote I decided that this week I would work on humility and meekness. I decided on Sunday to be more humble with those around me, more humble with things I know, and more humble with my strengths. I have noticed an immense difference in myself. I have never had revelation come so clear and received answers to my prayers in such fast ways. I am working on being more meek and humble so that I can know how I can be a better example to those around me, or how I can know what sisters in my zone are struggling and need to feel loved, or how I can know what to teach my investigators. There is so much that I need help and guidance with and I am learning that as I forget myself, and humble myself before the Lord, He will guide me and give me strength. For example, this week I was teaching Ivan about the restoration. He is very catholic and I had taught three lessons in a row that I felt did not go as I had hoped. I was struggling to help him understand the difference of our churches, the priesthood, and the restoration. I worked hard on planning a simple lesson about the restored priesthood and went into that lesson with a prayer in my heart that I could effectively say and do the things that I needed to say. At the conclusion of my lesson I could tell that it finally made sense, but he just did not believe it completely. I sat there wondering what to say... And within moments I had a CLEAR prompting that I needed to kneel down with him, and together ask if these things were true. When I said that to him, he looked at me with a strange look but said that we could. Ivan prayed and asked God if these things were true, and the spirit was so strong. When we finished praying, I looked up and him and asked what he was feeling. He responded that he wasn't sure, but that he felt as if God was looking down at him now. Tears filled my eyes as I testified to him that I know God heard our prayer and that He loves him. Long story short- he now has a baptismal date and I couldn't be more excited! I love teaching him so much. I know that if we are humble and meek, God can truly communicate with us. I am grateful for prayer. 

This week for devotional, Sister Wixom came and spoke to us. She said something that I have been thinking about all week. 

"Stop relying on yourself, and make Christ your STRENGTH."

It reminded me of how in Moses 1:39 we learn that this is "His work, and His glory..." I am here being a helper and sacrificing my life, but ultimately this is not my mission. This is where God needs me to fulfill His mission and to fulfill what He needs done in Slovenia right now. Each and everyday I am learning that this is not about what I want. It is not about my desires. It is about me learning to serve with a broken heart so that I can submit my will to Him, and accomplish what He would have me accomplish. My favorite hymn is "Lead, Kindly, Light" and I feel as if it adequately describes my thoughts. 

"Lead, Kindly Light, amidst the encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on.
Over moor and fen, over crag and torrent, till
The night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!"

I am learning what it means to truly rely on my Savior. He is my strength. I pray each and everyday to accomplish what He would have me do... to truly be under his influence and forget myself. I love how in the second verse it says that before I would not pray and ask for guidance, pride ruled my will. I think that is sometimes how the natural man may act. But I know that if we truly come to trust in God's will, we will see miracles in our life. I love in the third verse that it says lead me on, through the thorns and trials and life. I love that it doesn't say remove the problems and the hardships we may face, but lead me through them. I know that God has a plan and that if we trust in him, we will become stronger and better refined. In 2nd Nephi 22:2 it says, "I will trust and not be afraid." I tell myself that every day when I wake up. I am learning to BE BRAVE in the language, to trust in the Lord, to be confident in Him and that he can help me. I am grateful for a Savior who can truly give us the strength to succeed. That is one of the most precious truths I know- that through Christ, we will not fail. 

This week I had the opportunity to finish the Book of Mormon. I am so grateful for this book in my life. I had an empowering experience as I knelt down and followed Moroni's exhortation. I told Heavenly Father that I had the faith to know the truth, and that I know He hears my prayers. Within moments of saying that, I felt the spirit in a way I never have before. I don't know how to describe it, but it was amazing. I know that the Book of Mormon truly has the power to answer all questions. I know that it proves that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet. It proves that the restoration is real. I know that we have the restored gospel on this earth. I know that if we have faith and ask, the Holy Ghost will testify to us the truthfulness. I am grateful for this knowledge. I love how in the last chapter of Moroni it says once you "know these truths, arise and strengthen thy stakes. Enlarge thy borders, that the house of Israel may be fulfilled." That is why I am serving a mission. I have a testimony of this gospel and I cannot wait to share this message of happiness, hope, and light with those around me. 

Sorry this is so long - I love you all.. I am so happy and I love being a missionary! Language is still supesssssss crazy but I am happy.. and smiling still..... so that is good 

Love, 
Sister Nydegger

Nightly Chex Mix

Fall leaves at the temple on P-Day

Slovene and the 7 tenses




No comments:

Post a Comment